"Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life - learn some and think some
and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some."

Robert Fulghum



Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hugh

I love you, Hugh. I was twenty-two when we met. I love that I knew, even then, that there was just something about you that intrigued me in such a way that meeting you would forever change my life.. I love that my first thoughts of you were: Wow. He's tall. He's quiet. I like his hat. Did he just say "Howdy"??!.. I love that you can always make me laugh in any situation. I love that you TRIED to get lost on one of our first dates to spend more time together but couldn't, then decided to just pull over. I love the memories I have of you studying while I painted my "studio". I love that you are the most authentic, honest person I have ever known and consequently, are THE WORST liar! I love that the sound of dial-up reminds me of you. I love that you write me notes and unfinished letters when you are deployed but wait until you're home to give them to me. I love that you are so fully complete in your forgiveness. I love that you insist on replaying a song over and over until you get it right on your harmonica. I love that you play the harmonica. I love the way you smell. I love that you pretend you're playing an atari version video game while driving on long trips, blasting the other passersby. I love that you find any and every excuse to use your power tools: Christmas trees, photo hanging, light bulb changing... I love that you cannot contain your laughter, tho you try. I love that you genuinely ARE a good person. I love your strange knowledge of the classic rock genre. I love (although it really does drive me crazy!) that you constantly quiz me on mine. I love, really really love, thinking about the time you thought you were going to fall off the roof while hanging Christmas lights. I love that you still write love notes to me. I love that you're the worst appologizer in the world. I love that you're fearless. I love that I still get butterflies. I love that you're so moral and unashamed for being so. I love that you are the epitome of integrity. I love that you can read my mind. I love "the look". I love that you can sleep anywhere. I love that you insist I practice my balance by walking on your back. I love your immense intelligence. I love watching you wrestle and play with our kids. I love that you love them so much and that they cherish you in return. I love that our kids admire you. I love that I love you so much. I love thoughts of growing old and wrinkly together. I love that you sing along with the radio. I love your stupid raps. I love that you told me I was beautiful even when I told you not to.. I love the way WE hold hands. I love that just being with you has made me a better person. I love that I WANT to be a better person bc of you. I love that you love me. I love that you convinced me to marry you, bc you just knew that we would be great. I love that you were right.



I love you.



Happy Birthday, Hugh... six days late!

No comments:

Post a Comment